- Has been working out with weights and running for 45 years.
- Currently at age 74 runs 3 miles per day. He used to run 10 miles per day.
- Before Vance started running and working out, he said, "I was heavy, I was a smoker and eating and drinking a lot. I weighed 180 pounds. My room mate suggested I start running, so I started little by little to increase my mileage. I started at 1/2 mile and ended up quitting smoking cold turkey and started entering races. I got to where I could run fast. I did a marathon in 3:07."
- Has raced in Robie Creek Challenge - known as the Northwest's toughest 1/2 marathon, 9 times. His best time was 1:42.
- He has run in "easily over 100" races.
- Vance is a Vietnam Veteran.
- "I feel better when I exercise, and then I can also drink beer!"