FIT after 50
Becky Borczon Blake - Actress, Singer, and Fitness Enthusiast
- Began using a hula hoop for fitness after she saw girls "placidly and beautifully" hooping at a bluegrass music festival. Now she hoops at music festivals!
- At age 63, Becky calls hooping "my treat and reward." She hoop-dances for meditation and as the part of her varied fitness regimen that she looks forward to - "I do it for love - moving is fabulous."
- Her hula hoop was key in recovery after two total hip replacement surgeries.
- Becky weight-trains, mixing up free weights and circuit machines, 2-3 times per week.
- She walks a lot: uses a pedometer and aims for 12 - 15,000 steps a day. She also uses a 10#-weighted vest and walking poles when she walks outside.
- She makes her hoops with a 3/4" PVC pipe, 160 psi and uses holographic, electrical, and gaffer tape.
- Gets her cool hooping pants from Hoopclothes (hoopclothes.com).
- She recommends the beginner's hooping video from Hoopnotica.com.
- Becky has appeared on three episodes of Law and Order and she also sings with the Billy Blues Band.
- "Hooping helps with balance and posture. It is an excellent way to strengthen your core and support your spine. Exercise is as close as I can come to the Fountain of Youth! Energy begets energy; your posture helps you do things and doing things helps your posture."
- Editor's note: I was so motivated after talking to Becky, I immediately did my personal best stair-stepper session in the gym! Her positive attitude is inspirational.
"Moving is Fabulous!" - Becky Borczon Blake